A message from the OESJ High School Principal, Mr. Warren
Dear OESJ Families,
Welcome Back to School!
Welcome to our Hybrid learning or fully remote learning environment. We are looking forward to an exciting year full of learning and fun. As you know we have been preparing to open school and making plans over the summer for a safe and healthy environment with a rigorous curriculum for all students. We are excited that we were able to offer our OESJ families an option that allows children to learn from an in-person and remote learning setting.
Personally, I am excited to get the year started and welcome all students to OESJ Jr./Sr. High School. It has been a pleasure to work with our teachers to develop plans for safety and instruction for our students. Everyone here at OESJ wants you here and will help you achieve your goals. This year above any needs to be a year of unification. We need to lock arms, hands, brains, and hearts and commit to what is in the best interest of our students and their future. Most importantly we need to focus on kindness. Thank you for your continued support for your child’s education.
Please find some guidelines below:
20-21 Hybrid Block Scheduling
OESJ is offering a fully remote learning experience as well as a hybrid learning model. All students will engage in some form of remote learning on a weekly basis. Students will be grouped alphabetically according to their last name.
Students are required to follow the same instructional schedule whether their instruction is delivered in person or remotely. Students that have selected remote only as their method of learning will have to follow an abbreviated schedule on Wednesdays.
- The first day of the school year for 7-12 will be Monday, September 14th 2020.
- Gray days are for students with last names beginning with A-L
- Red days are for students with last names beginning with M-Z
- Some accommodations have been made to balance the number of students in each class.
Junior and Senior High School 7-12
- The school day will begin at 7:47 a.m. and end at 2:11 p.m. daily
- Walkers and Parent drop-offs can happen no earlier than 7:35 a.m.
- Monday 9/14 will be a Gray Day 1
- Tuesday 9/15 will be a Gray Day 2
- Wednesday 9/16 students will be home and remote
- Thursday 9/17 will be a Red Day 3
- Friday 9/18 will be a Red Day 4
- Monday 9/21 will be a Gray Day 5
- Tuesday 9/22 will be a Gray Day 6
Here are the monthly schedules for the first few months:
You will continue on a 6-day rotation but your days of the week will be the same each week unless there is a shortened week due to a no school.
What You Can Do to Help at Home
- Give your child the tools they need to prevent the spread of germs.
- Make sure your child knows to wash hands for at least 20 seconds and do not use any item that does not belong personally to them.
- Let them know they should always speak up if they do not feel safe or have questions regarding new routines because of COVID-19.
- Plan for extra time in the morning to prepare for the day with new routines. Taking temperature, packing extra masks, washing hands before leaving for school.
- Practice the proper way to wear and store masks, try wearing masks for a period of time so they can see how it will feel in school.
- Find a new way to greet friends ie: wave, foot bump or make up a new way.
- All students riding school transportation will be required to wear a mask
- Students from the same household will be required to sit together.
- Students must sit in assigned seats as assigned by the bus driver.
- Students riding the school bus will be socially distanced whenever possible.
- Attendance will be taken for purposes of contact tracing.
- Jr/Sr High School students (remote learners included) starting Monday, Aug 31 thru Sept 3 they can come to the IT office at the Jr/Sr High School between the hours of 8 am – 2 pm and pick up their Chromebook and charger.
- For those students that do not pick up their Chromebook during this time their Chromebook will be placed in their first-class or homeroom.
- For any technology questions or assistance, please contact the help desk at 518-568-2011 x3170.
- Jr/Sr High School attendance procedures will be in full effect whether students are in the in-person group or remote.
- Students need to have attendance taken daily while remote as well
- Students who are chronically absent will receive the same follow-up whether they are in the in-person school or the virtual school.
Food Service Procedure
- The district will provide all enrolled students with access to breakfast and lunch whether in person or remote.
- Jr/Sr High School breakfast will be provided as a grab and go, students can get their breakfast and head to their room from there.
- If the school is remote, pick up locations will be identified in the school community or delivery will be available.
Mandatory Use of Protective Personal Equipment
- Acceptable face coverings include but are not limited to cloth-based face coverings and surgical masks that cover both the mouth and nose
- Bandannas and neck gaiters are not permitted.
- Students will be required to wear masks on school transportation, in classrooms, in hallways, bathrooms, locker rooms, cafeteria, and other program spaces.
- If staff and students cannot be at least six feet apart, each will be required to wear a mask.
- Students may remove their masks under the direction of staff during mealtimes and while seated at their desks provided they remain 6 feet apart from one another.
- Mask breaks will also be built into the daily schedule of each classroom
Preventative Measures to Mitigate Risk
- Jr/Sr hallway lockers will not be used so as to prevent students from congregating in classroom areas or school hallways.
- Students will use clear or mesh backpacks/book bags to carry their belongings, including books, notebooks, Chromebooks, lunch, etc.
- Traffic will be a one-way direction flow based on floor level
- Students and staff will be required to wear masks when they cannot practice social distancing
- Each school office, bus, and bus garage will have masks to distribute as needed when students do not have their own.
- Cleaning and disinfecting tools will be made available.
- Soap and hand sanitizer shall be available.
- Disinfecting wipes will be available to wipe down desks and other frequently touched surfaces in classrooms.
- During the school day, the custodians will be cleaning and disinfecting frequently touched surfaces with emphasis on door handles, tabletops, bathroom surfaces, handrails, and seating areas.
HFM BOCES Programs
- New Visions program will begin on Monday, September 14, 2020. Please refer to the Career and Technical information below for bus info.
- P-Tech students will start on Wednesday, September 9, 2020. Transportation pick up and drop off times will be mailed to students.
- The Career and Technical program will begin on Monday, September 14, 2020.
Details are as follows:
- 11th graders attending the morning programs will depart from the High School at 7:35 a.m, please plan to arrive at the High School by 7:30 a.m if they live in the village or are driving to the High School.
- 12th graders attending the afternoon programs will depart from the High School at 11 a.m.
- Adirondack Academy will begin on Monday, September 21, 2020. They will be in session 5 days a week. The bus will depart from the High School at 7:35 a.m, village students need to be at the High School by 7:30 a.m.
- Bus pick up for all BOCES students on Wednesdays will be as follows. All students will be picked up and dropped off at their homes unless they live in the village, those students will be picked up and dropped off at the Jr/Sr High School.
Please feel free to reach out to us, if you have any questions or concerns. We are in this together.
Kevin Warren- OESJ High School Principal