February 9, 2021
Dear OESJ Parents and Family Members,
Throughout this Pandemic, we have worked hard to provide the best education possible for our children while following all CDC, NYS, and local Department of Health safety protocols. Since September, the number of COVID cases in our elementary school have been minimal; so much so that we recently brought back our Kindergarten, 1st graders and students with special needs (K-6) to school four days per week. Since adding in more students to our daily attendance, we have not experienced any increase in COVID cases.
Therefore, we are altering our schedule, effective Monday, February 22nd:
- All students in Prekindergarten, Kindergarten, 1st grade, 2nd grade and 3rd grade are to return for 5 days per week.
- Students with special needs in kindergarten to grade 6 will attend 5 days per week.
- Students in grade 4, grade 5 and grade 6 will continue with the hybrid model but will alternate Wednesdays as follows:
- Gray Group (Monday, Tuesday) will attend their regular days plus the following Wednesdays: 2/24, 3/10, 3/24, 4/14, 4/28, 5/12, 5/26, 6/9, 6/23.
- Red Group (Thursday, Friday) will attend their regular days plus the following Wednesdays: 3/3, 3/17, 3/31, 4/21, 5/5, 5/19, 6/2, 6/16.
- Arrival and dismissal times will remain the same.
The data shows that with our current safety protocols in place, OESJ is capable of providing a safe environment for children to learn in. We also believe that receiving in-person instruction serves in the best interest of our students. We are encouraging all “remote only” students to return to school with this new schedule. If you wish to request a change to your child’s instructional model, please notify the main office by Wednesday, February 17th. More information will follow to those parents who choose to continue with the “remote only” option.
We ask that if at all possible, please transport your children to reduce numbers on our busses.
Should you have any questions, comments or concerns, please do not hesitate to contact me at 518-568-2014. Thank you in advance for your help in making this a smooth transition for our students.