June 1, 2020
Dear OESJ Families and Staff,
Believe it or not we are approaching the end of the 2019–2020 school year and what a journey the last several months have been! As we approach the end of the school year I want to provide you with some updates:
Last day of school
- The last day of school for instruction for all students and teachers will be on Thursday, June 18, 2020. As you may recall, the April Spring Break never occurred due to the need for continuity of instruction. However, the Spring Break will be moved to the end of the school year. June 19, 2020 through June 26, 2020 (the official last day of school) will replace the April Spring break, thereby concluding the 2019–2020 school year.
- Student chromebooks will be collected on Friday, June 19 and during the week of June 22 through June 26 between the hours of 8 AM to 1 PM. They may be dropped off at either the elementary school at the main entrance or at the Junior Senior high school at the outer library entrance. If you have any questions, please contact the IT office at 518-568-2011 extension 3159.
Recognition for our graduates
Our desire is to recognize the class of 2020 in a memorable way. Let me share the status of the District’s plans to recognize our graduates:
- Senior photos have been provided to Kinney drugs and a big “thank you for getting them displayed in their storefront window.
- Signs for each graduate with their picture should be received by the District the week of June 1. The signs will be placed at the homes of each graduate as well as along main street in the village.
- A banner is being prepared for display across Bridge St. congratulating the graduates.
- Current plans call for a “drive-in” graduation at Soldiers and Sailors Memorial Field, subject to approval by the Montgomery County Department of Health as it relates to COVID-19 protocols. This will take place on Friday, June 26th with a planned 6:00 p.m. start. Attendance will be limited to one vehicle per graduate with only their immediate family in attendance. Plans are for the ceremony to be projected on a large screen with the audio transmitted to AM/FM radio through WCSS and a live stream of the ceremony will be available via Facebook Live. Although speeches will be pre-recorded, it is hoped that the presentation of diplomas can be live while following various social distance rules in place at that time. Once plans are finalized and approved by the department of health, specific details will be made available to the graduates and their families. Once again, please be aware that attendance will be limited based on the protocols in place on the date the ceremony is held.
We have missed seeing your children over these past months. It has been a year like no other. Please accept my gratitude and appreciation for your help in keeping your children healthy, safe and engaged in learning.
Dr. Joseph L. Natale