TRANSPORTATION SUPERVISOR DISTINGUISHING FEATURES OF THE CLASS:
This is a supervisory position involving responsibility for the safe and efficient operation and maintenance of the transportation systems of a school district. The incumbent must be aware at all times of the need to observe special cautionary measure in overseeing the transportation program and related repair and maintenance activities due to the safety factor of transporting children. The work is performed under the general supervision of the administration of the school district with considerable leeway allowed for the exercise of independent judgment. Supervision is exercised over the work of all subordinate transportation personnel. Does related work as required.
TYPICAL WORK ACTIVITIES (Illustrative but not exhaustive):
- Oversees the establishment of efficient transportation routes to be followed and the preparation of time schedules for busses in the school district;
- Utilizes transportation student data system and transportation software to organize the routing system within multiple school districts;
- Supervises and participates in the service, maintenance and repair of all school district vehicles and insures vehicles meet all accepted safety standards and requirements;
- Supervises Bus Drivers and other transportation personnel to assure that they comply with established policies and procedures as they relate to safety, courtesy and reporting;
- Establishes a preventive maintenance schedule and insures adherence by drivers and mechanics and/or arranges for major repairs for buses or equipment that are beyond the facilities of the school district’s garage;
- Prepares periodic reports which include routine data information, mileage usage, bus utilization, repair costs, inspections and employee payrolls;
- Directs the preparation of accident reports and the filing of necessary insurance forms and Department of Transportation records;
- Processes complaints regarding bus routine and scheduling, designation of bus stops, transportation personnel and student bus discipline;
- Requisitions necessary parts, supplies and equipment for buses and bus garage;
- Recommends appointment and dismissal of transportation personnel and assigns bus drivers to extracurricular trips as needed;
- Assists in the preparation of annual transportation budget;
- May act as the district’s representative in addressing and resolving transportation-related concerns and issues;
- May operate a school bus.
The above examples of duties are intended only as illustrations of the various types of work performed. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related or a logical assignment to the position.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, ABILITIES AND PERSONAL CHARACTERISTICS:
- Good knowledge of standard transportation methods and the operation of buses;
- Good knowledge of standard automotive repair methods and of the terminology and tools of the trade;
- Good knowledge of the geography of the district;
- Good knowledge of safe driving practices and the traffic laws and regulations related to bus drivers and school bus operations;
- Ability to plan and supervise the work of others;
- Ability to keep records and prepare reports; Ability to get along well with others; Dependability.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS: Graduation from high school, possession of a high school equivalency diploma, or a high school individual education plan diploma and either:
A) Three years of experience involving the planning, routing, scheduling or office management of a transportation department or other business involving a mode of transportation; Or
B) Three years of experience in the repair and maintenance of automotive equipment one year of which shall have involved the repair and maintenance of school buses; Or
C) An equivalent combination of training and experience as defined by the limits of (A) and
NOTE: Education beyond high school in transportation, transportation management or a closely related field may be substituted for the required experience on a year-for-year basis.
SPECIAL REQUIREMENT: Eligibility for the appropriate level New York State Driver’s License at time of application. Possession of license at time of appointment.
Note: If the position involves the operation of school buses, candidates must satisfy the requirements for School Bus Driver as set forth in the Rules and Regulations of the New York State Commissioner of Education, State Education Law and Vehicle and Traffic Law.